The cold weather has begun to set in. This time of year can be hard for those more susceptible to bugs. It can be difficult when you are supporting someone to know whether to go to work when you’re unwell or arrange cover so you can have time off.
Many clients will be more at risk of catching bugs, so it is important to plan for when you have a cold or other contagious illness.
The key is to have this conversation early, especially if you are providing personal care or other support that is vital to meeting your client’s basic needs. Having a contingency plan in place will give everyone peace of mind.
Together you might discuss:
- How much notice does your client ideally need to find alternative cover
- Who is responsible for finding cover
- Do you need to train people who will provide cover if you're unwell
- Is there a family member who could cover in an emergency
- If you do come to work, what can you do to stop the spread of germs e.g. are gloves, masks and hand sanitizer provided?
The best laid plans don’t always work out, so be prepared to negotiate and problem-solve when needed. However, you may be surprised how much a little forward planning can help.
If you decide to bring people on-board as relief staff, this has an added bonus of giving you freedom to book holidays and other time off. You can also use Mycare's Circle feature to keep other workers and your client up to date.
For tips about how to stay healthy during the winter months click here.
If you have queries or need some help, please contact the Customer Engagement team on 09 887 9777 or email email@example.com